I work with people all the time who are seeking success. Some of them want to build a business, others want to turn a hobby into a profession, and still others want to pursue a dream that seems just out of reach. In all of these cases, there are some simple adjustments that can be made in life that can make any of these things attainable. Today I’m going to hit on just one adjustment that can really make a dream into reality. It is what makes the difference between a flashlight or a laser.
Are you a Flashlight or a Laser?
While pursuing your dream ask yourself this question: Am I a flashlight or a laser? Let’s take a quick moment to define each of these.
If you are a flashlight you may find yourself relating to these traits:
- You are interested in your passion and talk about it.
- You practice your passion when there is time.
- You invest in your passion until it gets too uncomfortable.
- You are knowledgeable about your passion and recognized as knowledgeable, but you aren’t the expert.
- You find yourself wishing for more.
If you are a laser you may find yourself relating to these traits:
- Your interest is unwavering about your passion and you pursue it whole heartedly.
- You practice your passion in an effort to polish your craft. It is something you make the time for.
- You invest in your passion and push through the discomfort regularly.
- You strive to be the expert of your area of passion and are recognized as such.
- You find yourself actively pursuing the next step.
Hobbies don’t have to be the only thing we enjoy in life. The professions that we pursue should be pursued with passion. Imagine if you could turn your passions from hobbies that take money out of your pocket into professions that are putting money into your pocket? Would that be the worth the cost that comes with the added focus it takes for success?
So now I ask one more question: What are you going to be – a flashlight or a laser?
Make it a GREAT day!
- Mr. DAPs